The High Country Chapter of the MOAA was formed in 2004 and serves Avery, Mitchell, and Watauga counties.
The Military Officers Association of America is a non-profit veterans' association dedicated to maintaining a strong national defense and to preserving the earned entitlements of members of the uniformed services and their families and survivors. Membership is open to those who hold or have ever held a warrant or commission in any component of the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, Public Health Service, or NOAA and their surviving spouses.
The High Country Chapter has been awarded the MOAA 4-Star Level of Excellence Chapter recognition.
Please take a look at our Chapter Newsletters, the North Carolina Department of Veterans Affairs with the NC4VETS Resource Guide publication NCDVA, or directly to the NC4VETS Newsletter NC4VETS, and the National MOAA Annual Letter...
Watauga County Veterans' Memorial
Our MOAA Chapter members realized that our County does not have a Memorial to recognize and pay tribute to our Veterans. We are proud to announce a major project to establish a Veterans' Memorial in downtown Boone, NC.
Our purpose is to create a unique and memorable Memorial to reflect the dedication, patriotism and sacrifice our
citizens have made in the defense and preservation the the freedoms we have today. Thanks to the generosity of the Town of Boone Mayor and Town Council , a site adjacent to Town Hall on King Street, has been set aside for the location of the Watauga County Veterans' Memorial. This location will provide the highest visibility to our citizens, students and our visitors.
We need and ask for your generous support in providing funds to establish the Memorial. We will create a Memorial that will reflect the traditions of the High Country and our dedication to the men and women who served our Country in all branches of the Armed Forces from the Revolutionary War to the current conflicts.
Please consider helping us make this project a reality.
Donations may be made to:
Watauga County Veterans' Memorial Fund
c/o High Country MOAA
P O Box 3312
Boone, NC 28607
Or, donate online here:
The High Country Chapter is a 501(c)(19) non profit Veterans' organization. no goods or services will be provided to you for your donation. Therefore, the full amount of your contribution is tax-deductible to the extend allowed by law.
Listed below are upcoming chapter events. For additional information on the events please click - more...
- 12 October - HCCMOAA Board of Directors' Meeting
- 23 October - Strikes for Troops Fundraiser
- 27 October - HCCMOAA Officers' Call/Happy Hour
- 2 November - HCCMOAA Board of Directors' Meeting
- 10 November - Marine Corps 241st Birthday
- 11 November - Veterans' Day Activities
- Veterans' Day Ceremony, Appalachian State University
- HCCMOAA coordinated Veterans' Day activities at the Boone Mall
- Grand Opening of the Student Veteran Resource Center at Appalachian State University
- 17 November - HCCMOAA Officers' Call/Happy Hour
- 19 November - Heroes Day Football Game, Appalachian State University
- 3 December - Christmas Party/General Membership Meeting
- 7 December - HCCMOAA Board of Directors' Meeting
- 15 December - HCCMOAA Officers' Call/Happy Hour